11 Best WordPress Mailing List Plugins For List Building Magic (2017 Edition)
Here’s the deal:
You need to build an email list.
The larger and more engaged your email list is – the faster your website will grow, and the more money you’ll make.
But, the old solutions of just using any old opt-in form that came with our email provider aren’t enough.
We need to deploy opt-in forms in more locations on our websites, use page level targeting, add content upgrades, trigger forms based on user behavior, run split tests to boost conversions and leverage other cutting-edge tactics.
Here’s the good news:
All of this (and more) is possible with the WordPress plugins I’m about to show you.
I’ve tested countless plugins over the years and spent plenty of cash. I’ve found hidden gems, and I’ve wasted money on tools that faded into obscurity. In this post, I’ll share what I’ve learned with you.
My goal is to help you find the perfect list building plugin. A plugin that’ll do what you need it to do now, and will do what you’ll need it to do as your site continues to grow. So you can sit back and watch your email list grow like wildfire.
First I’ll run through the list of plugins, then I’ll show you a comparison where we look at which plugins fit into certain scenarios best (if you’re pushed for time, click here to scroll to the comparison section).
Let’s dive in:
The best mailing list building plugins for WordPress in 2017
1. Thrive Leads
Thrive Leads is without a doubt, the most impressive list building plugin on the market right now.
The plugin comes with every feature you’ll need to rapidly grow your list of email subscribers.
You get the ability to add a variety of opt-in form types covering everything from popovers and scroll boxes.
Each opt-in form type has a great selection of templates and you can use the drag & drop editor to customize them to look exactly how you want them to.
You can create as many opt-in forms as you like and select which pages/categories/tags you’d like to display them on.
Thrive Leads handles split testing in a unique way. Instead of just being able to split test forms against each other, you can split test different opt-in form types against each other.
For example, will a ribbon or a scroll box convert best? You can find out. You can also run split tests to find out which type of form triggers convert best.
Reporting is insightful and comprehensive. You get a general snapshot overview of your progress, but you can then dig into a variety of reports. I particularly like the “content marketing report” which shows me which posts/pages are converting best.
Latest features and updates:
- Smart Links – This feature allows you to show a different call to action to your existing subscribers. Now they’ve signed up; you could display a link to a product or something else.
- Digital Asset Delivery – Have you ever wanted an easy way to send your new subscribers a PDF or free download for signing up? Thrive Leads will do that too!
- Content upgrade templates – The content upgrade strategy will deliver impressive conversions. Thrive Leads has their own set of templates that make them easy to setup.
- Content locking – If you want to hide premium content behind an opt-in form, you can now do this in Thrive Leads too.
- 50 + Opt-in form templates.
- Drag and drop editor makes for easy form customization.
- Add opt-in forms to key locations on your blog.
- Various popover triggers such as Exit Intent.
- Advanced opt-in form targeting options.
- Advanced split testing functionality.
- Actionable reporting/statistics.
- Supports any email provider that uses HTML forms.
- API integrations for all popular email providers (they add new ones every so often).
- Supports 2 step opt-in forms.
- Supports shortcode placement.
- Supports multiple form fields, radio forms, check boxes and drop downs.
Price: $67 (includes one year of support and lifetime updates – awesome!).